This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate 3 ATLANTA (AP) — President Joe Biden and three former presidents paid tribute Wednesday to late Veterans Administration chief and U.S. senator Max Cleland, who lost limbs while serving in Vietnam. Biden called Cleland a hero who "exemplified the best of the American spirit." Former President Barack Obama said Cleland was "someone who defied impossible odds to become one of our nation's finest public servants." "Max wore the physical and emotional scars of war, but he never lost his drive to do right by the people of Georgia and Americans everywhere," Obama said. Obama, Biden and former presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter were not present, but sent letters that were read by Carter's grandson, Jason Carter. Cleland died of congestive heart failure in November at the age of 79, but his memorial service was delayed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Cleland was a U.S. Army captain in Vietnam when he lost his right arm and two legs while picking up a fallen grenade in 1968. He blamed himself for decades, until he learned that another soldier had dropped it. He also spent many months in hospitals that were… Read full this story
- The 50 best HBO series streaming right now
- These Are the 100 Worst Dramas of All Time
- Presidency in Review: Which Campaign Promises Did Trump Uphold?
- While you wait for Tenet, watch these time-bending movies and shows
- Who was the REAL Audrey Hepburn? Granddaughter Emma Ferrer breaks down in tears in new documentary as she says the star was 'sad' and 'just wanted to be loved' after her dad walked out on her aged six
- House, Senate conservatives eye impeachment
- 2020 Worldwide Box Office Slumps 71% To $12.4B Amid Covid Impact: Strength Of International, Piracy Concerns & Hope Dominate 2021 Chatter – Global Studio Rankings Chart
- What’s new on Peacock in January 2021
- FATAL ENCOUNTER / Officer Isaac Espinoza and resident David Hill had chances to leave the Bayview, but the neighborhood had a pull on them. Now Espinoza is dead, and Hill is accused of his slaying.
- Robert Forster, Resurgent Oscar Nominee From 'Jackie Brown,' Dies at 78
Tribute for late VA chief Max Cleland, who lost limbs in war have 358 words, post on www.sfgate.com at May 25, 2022. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.