Remember Games for Windows Live? It’s a name I’ve not heard for a long time, but something which was still plaguing Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition on PC until just this week. Games for Windows Live was Microsoft’s much-hated first attempt at getting Xbox Live-style features on PC, stuffed in a launcher that no one wanted to use, and initially for a $50/year subscription. After launching back in 2007, many PC games at the time were coded to require GFWL – including Fallout 3 GOTY – although most have since been updated to no longer need it. Yesterday, a new patch for Fallout 3 GOTY finally freed it from its lingering GFWL requirements. “Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition has been updated and no longer installs Games for Windows Live dependencies,” patch notes read. “If Fallout 3 was previously installed on Steam, we suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the title. “The title no longer requires Games for Windows Live and will now launch.” It’s ironic that one of Bethesda’s best games is now finally free of GFWL after being bought by the company which launched it. But perhaps as Microsoft looks to the future, it is keen to… Read full this story
- Chew over the most important PC gaming news of the week, live now!
- Best Prime Day Gaming Deals 2020: What to expect
- Fights, camera, action: the beginner's guide to streaming video games
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Out Now On Game Pass, Steam
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Out Now, Is A Huge Download On Game Pass And Steam
- Fortnite BANNED from iPhone and Android overnight – as game maker sues ‘evil’ Google and Apple
- Apple stumbled into a war with the gaming industry, and the future of iOS is at stake
- All The Games Delayed Due To Coronavirus
- Windows 95 Turns 25: When Windows Went Mainstream
- Dead By Daylight now lets PC and consoles play together
After more than a decade, Fallout 3 GOTY no longer needs Games for Windows Live on PC have 302 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at October 13, 2021. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.