Tax raid on dividends 'punishes risk-takers' FTSE 100 closes lower as delta fears weigh on markets Morrisons gears up for takeover auction Facebook fights UK watchdog over Giphy deal Jeremy Warner: There's no good time to lift taxes but now is the worst possible moment Sign up here for our daily business briefing newsletter A ndrew Bailey has begged 2m sidelined workers to return to the jobs market as he warned that severe staff shortages are holding back Britain’s economic revival. Britain needs millions of people to come back to the workforce to fill huge vacancies created since society reopened, the Bank of England Governor said. He warned that payments and mobility data suggests the post-lockdown surge in growth is levelling off and added that companies are desperate for workers to fill empty roles. Around 2m people were made unemployed during Covid, are currently on furlough or have left the labour market, he said – about 6pc of the total workforce. Speaking to MPs on the Treasury Select Committee, Mr Bailey said: "Really we need that 6pc to come back as much as possible actually, a lot of them to come back actually. "In many ways now the concern is getting… Read full this story
- With Papelbon and Giles gone, Phillies' closer job wide open
- Titans looking for new kick-returner
- Andrew Gruman’s Oct. 21 Brewers mailbag
- Bruins GM Sweeney: Julien to return as coach for 9th season
- Bruins GM says Julien to return as coach for ninth season
- Colts exercise 5th-year option on quarterback Andrew Luck
- How will 2016’s pitchers returning from Tommy John surgery fare?
- Hossa returns for Blackhawks, scores big goal in win over Jets
- Inter Milan defender Vidic set for shock Manchester United return
- Lucroy returns to form, hammers walk-off winner
Andrew Bailey urges 2m to return to jobs market have 291 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at September 8, 2021. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.