Calcutta High Court Justice Kaushik Chanda on Wednesday imposed a cost of ₹5 lakh on Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee while recusing himself from hearing an election petition filed by her . The court said that the cost has been imposed for "vilification adopted to seek recusal". The Chief Minister had filed an election petition in June 2021 before the Calcutta High Court, alleging irregularities in the counting process in the Nandigram Assembly polls . The matter came for hearing before Justice Kaushik Chanda. Ms. Banerjee had urged the judge to recuse himself from hearing the petition, alleging that he had links with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). The order said: "The calculated psychological offensives and vilification adopted to seek recusal need to be firmly repulsed, and a cost of Rupees five lakh is imposed upon the petitioner… Such cost should be deposited with the Bar Council of West Bengal within two weeks from date, and upon such deposit, the Bar Council shall set aside the amount for the families of the advocates who had succumbed to the Covid-19 pandemic." In a strongly worded order, Justice Chanda said that the petitioner had approached the Hon'ble Chief Justice (Acting) on the administrative… Read full this story
- Mamata Banerjee and Friends - The Singur Siege
- Landmark Judgment Over Revisions to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
- The Speech You Will Never Hear
- Appeals court to hold rehearing on Trump hotel lawsuit
- Difference Between an Appeal and an Application For Writ of Habeas Corpus
- Free Online Divorce Forms And Instructions - Where To Get Them
- The Massachusetts Homestead Act and Bankruptcy
- Women Suffrage - A Comparative Perspective
- Defending Against False Allegations of Abuse - Defending Fathers
- The Defense Base Act - What Is It And What Rights Does It Provide For Contractors Injured In Iraq?
Calcutta High Court judge recuses from hearing Mamata Banerjee’s election petition have 293 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 7, 2021. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.