Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas on Wednesday kicked off a high-stakes political fight over the state's future, formally announcing a special session of the Legislature in which he and fellow Republicans will try to push Texas further to the right on issues like elections and voting, transgender rights and how schools teach about racism. The special session, set to begin on Thursday, follows an already ultraconservative legislative session this spring, when the Republican-dominated Legislature passed a near-ban on abortion and a law permitting the carrying of handguns without permits , running roughshod over protests from Democrats, business coalitions and civil rights groups in an often strictly party-line manner. But the Legislature failed to pass one of the governor's signature priorities for the session — a sweeping election overhaul bill that would have been one of the most restrictive voting laws in the country — when Democratic state lawmakers staged a dramatic late-night walkout that deprived the House of a quorum and temporarily killed the bill. Republicans' new election overhaul bill in Texas, a state which already has some of the nation's strictest voting rules, will be the first to come before a state legislature since the Supreme Court's ruling last… Read full this story
- Steve Cohen and Jerry Nadler push for voting rights
- UB's season-opening win a tuneup for Penn State test to come
- Texas governor resists calls for quick votes after shooting
- Texas Senate advances anti-transgender bathroom bill
- Share of women seeking out-of-state abortions increases
- State Rep. Dwayne Bohac announces he won't seek reelection
- Texas vs. LSU: All signs point to underdog Longhorns
- Kansas governor's warnings open Medicaid expansion review
- Where is Ohio State in the new Associated Press Top 25 poll?
- Texas governor says 'mistakes' made in immigrant rhetoric
Abbott Opens Texas G.O.P.’s Push to Limit Voting and Reshape the State have 288 words, post on www.nytimes.com at July 7, 2021. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.