History professor Tore Olsson is combining his love for history and his love for games in a new history class at the University of Tennessee titled “HIUS 383: Red Dead America.” The class will use both Red Dead Redemption and its sequel as jumping off points to explore the 1899-1911 period of American history. In a Twitter thread explaining what the class’s syllabus will cover, Olsson admits that, taken alone, the games are “often historically inaccurate,” but still provide good jumping off points for the discussion of numerous historical issues including colonialism, racism, and the rise of monopoly capitalism. Though often historically inaccurate, the games skillfully broach a number of crucial historical issues in the 1899-1911 period, such as: — Tore Olsson (@ToreCarlOlsson) February 11, 2021 -The astounding inequalities in wealth that became obvious during the Gilded Age — Tore Olsson (@ToreCarlOlsson) February 11, 2021 -The memory of the Civil War and the making of the Lost Cause myth — Tore Olsson (@ToreCarlOlsson) February 11, 2021 -Stereotypes of Appalachian degeneracy and poverty alongside the reality of corporate extraction and dispossession — Tore Olsson (@ToreCarlOlsson) February 11, 2021 Olsson has credited fellow historian Jonathan S. Jones for inspiring him to develop… Read full this story
- Powering through history
- The redemption myth: sporting comebacks are as predictable as they are overblown
- America’s volatile global image has deep roots in its ‘exceptional’ history
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan: Ruling Class Hero
- The Wire creator David Simon: why American politics no longer works
- The Story of the Gettysburg Address—and What It Can Teach Us Today
- Four Indian-Americans among 32 students chosen as Rhodes Scholars from US
- Dr. Larry Arnn: ‘We Have a Right to Have In-Person Classes’
- Four Indian-Americans among 32 students chosen as Rhodes Scholars from U.S.
- House Republicans Introduce Bill Banning Federal Funds for Teaching America Founded on Slavery
Red Dead Redemption Is Being Used To Teach A College American History Class have 287 words, post on www.gamespot.com at February 15, 2021. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.