A secular marriage law that makes accessible to all and sundry the personal details, including mobile phone numbers, of adults who want to enter wedlock has come under challenge in the Supreme Court.The Special Marriage Act is intended to help consenting adults, especially those who belong to different religions or castes, to marry. But certain provisions of the Act, like Section 6, require the intimate details of the couple to be published for 30 days at the Marriage Registrar’s office. The details include their names, date of birth, age, occupation, parents’ names and details, address, pin code, identity information, phone number, etc. This is a peculiar requirement of the Act. The provisions in the Act allow anyone to submit objections to the marriage if they come to know of it through this public notice. The Marriage Officer is empowered to inquire into these objections. Law student Nandini Praveen, represented by advocates Kaleeswaram Raj and Nishe Rajen Shonker, said the publication of private details was a violation of the privacy of couples.‘Chilling effect’ Publication of confidential details through a public notice had a chilling effect on the right to marry, particularly in the backdrop of honour killings and violence committed against… Read full this story
- As the Supreme Court Gets Back to Work, Five Big Cases to Watch
- Supreme Court of India to review ban on gay sex
- Supreme court to hear unmarried Belfast mum's challenge over widow pension rights
- US Supreme Court weighs Microsoft overseas data fight
- Bermuda becomes world's first country to repeal same-sex marriage laws
- Indian Supreme Court rejects all pleas to ban 'Padmaavat'
- US Supreme Court allows Trump travel ban to take effect
- U.S. Supreme Court wrestles with Minnesota voter apparel case
- Children of same-sex couples protest marriage laws
- Hudabiya Mills case: NAB baffled SC’s detailed verdict, says official
Plea in Supreme Court says secular marriage law violates privacy to marry have 296 words, post on www.thehindu.com at September 3, 2020. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.