LONDON — Britain and the European Union on Thursday broke up their latest round of post-Brexit talks by ruling out a quick deal but voicing hope for agreement in the coming months. Prime Minister Boris Johnson had promised to add “a bit of oomph” to the stalled negotiations when he personally joined them last month. His main goal then was to get a framework deal struck by the end July that could assure UK businesses they would not have to start preparing for a messy no-deal breakup when the current transition period ends on December 31. But chief negotiators said it was unlikely because of a fundamental gap on major areas such as fishing rights and fair competition rules. “It is unfortunately clear that we will not reach in July the early understanding on the principles underlying any agreement,” Britain’s David Frost said in a statement. He accused the EU of failing to recognise Britain’s economic and political independence and described the gulf between the sides on some points as “considerable”. Frost’s counterpart Michel Barnier criticised London for refusing to move on its red lines. “By its current refusal to commit to conditions to open and fair competition, and to… Read full this story
- Donald Trump ‘ready to offer ZERO TARIFF’ trade deal to Britain in post-Brexit boost
- Barnier: 'Realistic' Brexit plan needed
- Britain’s bumper post-Brexit trade deal with US could be OFF thanks to Theresa May’s Brexit plans, Donald Trump’s ambassador warns
- The world is laughing: Britain needs a new govt capable of serious talks with EU – and quickly
- Brexit plan DONE - Boris Johnson’s solution to EU for Irish backstop revealed
- How much more unpalatable will the EU make this deal?
- Why David Davis Resigned, What It Means For Brexit, And Will Theresa May Resign? Everything You Need To Know
- Boris Johnson resigns in major Brexit blow to UK PM Theresa May
- Jeremy Hunt named as new UK foreign secretary after Boris Johnston quits
- Conservative big beasts Boris Johnson and David Davis risk Brexit by quitting Cabinet — get ready for a no-deal exit
UK, EU rule out quick post-Brexit deal have 342 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 24, 2020. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.