Britain and the European Union on Thursday broke up their latest round of post-Brexit trade negotiations by ruling out a quick deal but voicing hope for agreement in the coming months.Prime Minister Boris Johnson had promised last month to add “a bit of oomph” to the stalled negotiations when he personally joined them last month.His main goal then was to get a framework deal struck by the end July that could assure U.K. businesses they do not have to start preparing for a messy no-deal breakup when the current transition period ends on December 31. But chief negotiators said this was unlikely because of a fundamental gap on major areas such as fishing rights and fair competition rules.“It is unfortunately clear that we will not reach in July the ‘early understanding on the principles underlying any agreement,” Britain’s David Frost said.He accused the EU of failing to recognise Britain’s economic and political independence and described the gulf between the sides on some points as “considerable”.‘One big deal’Mr. Frost’s counterpart Michel Barnier criticised London for refusing to move on its red lines.“By its current refusal to commit to conditions to open and fair competition, and to a balanced agreement on fisheries,… Read full this story
- Brexit news latest – Looming DISASTER as EU states could veto a Brexit deal even if Boris and Barnier reach an agreement
- Brexit news latest – Boris told to WALK AWAY from talks immediately after EU’s ‘extremist’ no-deal threat
- EU leaders clash over Hungary and Poland budget veto
- Brexit talks drag on into next week after negotiator struck down with Covid
- Google should face an antitrust probe in the UK after Brexit over new privacy software that will 'give it a monopoly over online advertising'
- Transition nearly done! Drone photos reveal vast 27-acre Kent field being turned into 1,700-space Brexit lorry park
- A truly balanced view from the BBC: don’t blame us for Brexit
- International Insider: Royal Rumble Over Brexit; Banijay Hack; Mixed Fortunes For Euro Cinemas; Netflix Splurge
- The Incredible Sulk? UK PM Boris Johnson Abandons Luxembourg Press Conference Due to Protests
- UK setting itself up for a fall: China Daily editorial
U.K., EU rule out quick post-Brexit deal have 358 words, post on www.thehindu.com at July 23, 2020. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.