Julia Jacobs When J.K. Rowling was accused of transphobia about two years ago for "liking" a tweet that referred to transgender women as "men in dresses," much of the Harry Potter fandom tried to give their beloved author the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps it really was just an accident, a "clumsy and middle-aged moment," as Rowling's spokesperson said at the time. Then people noticed that Rowling followed commentators on Twitter who described transgender women as men. In December, she made her personal views more clear when she expressed enthusiastic support for a British researcher who filed a lawsuit against her former employer, claiming that she had been discriminated against for her "gender critical" views (i.e. her stance on the fixity of one's sex at birth). "It felt like we were waiting for the other shoe to drop," said Melissa Anelli, a veteran leader in the Potter fandom who co-owns the Leaky Cauldron. This week, it did. Close First, Rowling took aim at an article that referred to "people who menstruate," suggesting that it was wrong to not use "women" in a misguided attempt to include trans people. When she received negative response to this, she then published a 3,700-word… Read full this story
- TALK OF THE TOWN: 'Please just enjoy the books first!' Margot Robbie reads Harry Potter fans the riot act
- Alan Rickman: Harry Potter fans raise wands in tribute
- Harry Potter fans thrilled as Tom Felton hosts epic 19-year reunion with Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint
- Daniel Radcliffe Surprised ‘Harry Potter’ Fans With Epic Reading Of The First Book During Pandemic
- 'I was lucky enough to see my old school chums!' Harry Potter villain Tom Felton holds a virtual 19 year reunion with new dad Rupert Grint and on-screen nemesis Daniel Radcliffe
- The 'Harry Potter' Films Aren't Coming to Netflix—Here's Where to Watch
- What did Tom Felton say and could there be a Harry Potter reunion?
- You can stay in a Harry Potter-inspired dorm with Gryffindor themed beds and prefect bathroom for just £50 each
- Primark is selling a magical Harry Potter advent calendar for Christmas and fans are already obsessed
- Harry Potter Warner Bros Studio reveal new festive-themed Diagon Alley experience this Christmas
Harry Potter fans reimagine their world without its creator have 380 words, post on www.moneycontrol.com at June 13, 2020. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.