By Stephanie Elam, CNN Updated 1636 GMT (0036 HKT) April 6, 2020 Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what’s happening in the world as it unfolds. We are publishing personal essays from CNN’s global staff as they live and cover the story of Covid-19. Stephanie Elam is based in Los Angeles as a correspondent for CNN. Los Angeles (CNN)After the sun sets beyond the California coast, the iconic Ferris wheel on the Santa Monica Pier still lights up — its dancing colors mimicked on the surface of the Pacific Ocean below. It’s an eerie reminder of what life should be like in Los Angeles right now. But despite the light show, the pier is blocked off and silent — no games, no vendors, no rides. No tourists posing for selfies. This is California at war with the coronavirus. It’s been about two weeks since Governor Gavin Newsom put California under a stay-at-home order — the first state in the union to tell its nearly 40 million residents to do so. He also said the state’s coronavirus cases are expected to peak in May. Even with more than 15,000 current cases in California, this is expected to be the… Read full this story
- Best restaurants in Los Angeles: Celebrity favourites from Downtown to Hollywood
- Hornchurch filmaker finds success in Los Angeles with George Clooney film
- No way, NRA: Los Angeles will require contractors to disclose ties to National Rifle Association
- Instagram couple show off their awe-inspiring holiday snaps from Los Angeles to Bali to MILLIONS of followers
- Opinion: Ocasio-Cortez and the LA teachers are doing the impossible – bringing socialism back to America
- Paul Kimmage meets Shane Lowry: Lessons learned from social media, US Open heartbreak and the long road back
- Friends star Matthew Perry worries fans by revealing he’s been ‘kicked out of therapy’
- Mac Miller's charity 'rakes in $350K to help underserved youth'
- Congolese boy helped by Mutombo dies after surgery
- Moving abroad? How to stay in touch with friends and family
In Los Angeles, friendly waves help fill the empty spaces of social distancing have 324 words, post on edition.cnn.com at April 6, 2020. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.