Email ABC Mid North Coast By Kerrin Thomas Posted March 05, 2020 08:42:43 Photo: There were many calls for NYE 2020’s fireworks display over Sydney Harbour to be cancelled. (ABC News: Bellinda Kontominas) Related Story: Could drones replace Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks? Related Story: Sydney’s NYE fireworks show to go on, regional displays cancelled Related Story: Canberra’s New Year’s Eve fireworks cancelled due to total fire ban, poor air quality Map: Taree 2430 Alternatives to fireworks for New Year’s Eve celebrations are being considered in some local government areas in New South Wales, following backlash to the New Year’s displays. Key points:This past new year, MidCoast Council found the community response to fireworks was mixed, with some “quite upset” and some “offended”Councillors supported a motion at a recent meeting to undertake research into alternatives to the pyrotechnic displaysA drone hire company said “drone light shows” are an environmentally friendly alternative and are “just something new” One area that will undertake research into the alternatives to a fireworks display is the MidCoast Council on the NSW mid-north coast.This summer, 256 homes and outbuildings were lost to bushfires in the council area, and a further 57 homes and 118 outbuildings were… Read full this story
- 'Illegally' clearing his property cost him $100k in fines. But when the Black Saturday fires killed 173, his family and home survived while his neighbours died - so LIAM SHEAHAN asks, why can't we control our own homes?
- Raging bushfire that threatened to raze hundreds of homes to the ground was lit by a man 'who was trying to protect his CANNABIS crop'
- The death and life of the great British pub
- 'Nobody has seen a fire like this before': Wall of fire fanned by powerful winds closes in on three Queensland towns – as residents in tourist hotspot are told to catch a ferry to escape
- The Zealot: Larry Pratt Is the Gun Lobby’s Secret Weapon
- A Wealth of Questions Remain in Facebook ‘Hate Crime’ Torture
- ‘Nothing to worry about. The water is fine’: how Flint poisoned its people
- Angela Carter: Far from the fairytale
- Opinion: Turkish democracy is still alive
- Labour Party Conference 2018: Agenda, timetable and what to expect from the four-day Liverpool bash
Fireworks alternatives sought by local councils after 'black summer' bushfire backlash have 365 words, post on www.abc.net.au at March 5, 2020. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.