If asked to name the first thing to pop into your head when someone says “circus,” I expect a lot of people would instantly shout out “The Greatest Showman,” and for good reason. Leave your desire for historical accuracy on the bog-like field surrounding the cone-topped tent of wonder, and it’s almost impossible not to be taken in; enraptured by the musical’s lavish production, emotionally manipulative story, and catchy song and dance numbers. Even as a man who has shaped an entire career around being po-faced, certain scenes tug the heartstrings so well they could be used as a real-life Voight-Kampff test. But no. My mind doesn’t immediately leap, like a buoyant fawn, to The Greatest Showman. All I can think about is danger.I see danger everywhere. I’m the parent in the playground who grabs a child mid-swing to avoid another being catapulted into the climbing frame; I’m the person left alone at a pedestrian crossing as I stubbornly wait for the green man; I genuinely believe lettuce is a dangerous thing to eat. Growing up in and around circuses did not play nicely with this mostly useless and less-than-brilliantly calibrated superpower. I can’t really explain how little I enjoyed… Read full this story
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Episode Revealed to Contain Monty Python References
- Captivating images from the eighties and nineties show street carnivals, fairs and circuses in all their glory across the country
- RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: It’s time this squabbling, showboating, grotesque circus got out of town for good
- Trump’s Tweets Are Not a Distraction: They Demonstrate a New Level of Instability
- They are the Nadal and Djokovic of their game, but that game is tiddlywinks
- Ohio State vs. West Virginia score, takeaways: Mountaineers make statement with upset of Buckeyes
- FMIA Week 17: Game 256’s Thrilling Finish Sets Table for NFL Playoffs
- Cowboys' Jason Witten will decide quickly on future, possible retirement: 'This game's meant so much to me'
- WATCH: Minnesota WR Tyler Johnson makes circus one-handed touchdown catch in Outback Bowl vs. Auburn
- Nell Gifford obituary
Someone should make a game about: Circuses have 348 words, post on www.eurogamer.net at February 12, 2020. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.