The CW’s Batwoman has, from its very first episode, not shied away from Kate Kane’s identity as a lesbian. Audiences learn that, much like the character’s comic book origin, Kate was kicked out of the military academy after her sexuality is discovered. From the pilot, it’s been clear that not only is Kate Kane gay, but she’s comfortable with who she is. However, now that she’s taken on the mantle of Batwoman the character is going to start having to deal with questions of identity, both in terms of who Batwoman is and why she’s taking it all on.
According to series showrunner Caroline Dries, while Kate may be out and proud, people may assume Batwoman is straight, something that will create a bit of conflict for Kate as she attempts to find something of a work/life balance.
“I want to keep the fact that [Kate’s] a lesbian part of the fabric of the show,” Dries told CBR. “So she’s going to continue to try to have a personal life outside of her superhero-ness or within being a superhero. She’s a person who falls in love, she’s a human being. So that is definitely going to continue to be a conflict. And also one of the things we’re going to explore is this idea that she is a gay woman who’s always been comfortable with being gay. It’s never been an issue. And now she’s literally changing her identity and Gotham is assuming that she’s straight. And that’s going to be something that starts to irk her.”
But that won’t be the only thing. As Kate has started to learn after having to end her budding relationship with Reagan earlier this season, being Batwoman takes up a lot of her own life and Kate may find herself starting to question the point of it all, especially with people assuming Batwoman is straight.
“I think it makes her question, ‘What am I actually doing?'” Dries said. “‘I’m a symbol. What is the point? What am I actually accomplishing being this person that nobody knows who I actually am?’ It makes her ask some hard questions.”
What do you think about Kate struggling with Batwoman’s identity? Let us know in the comments below.
Batwoman airs Sundays at 8/7c on The CW.
- Dundee royal visit: LIVE updates of Prince William and Kate Middleton’s trip to the city
- Kate Wright asks her NINE ‘favourite girls’ to be her bridesmaids with elaborate party ahead of wedding to Rio Ferdinand
- How rumours of Meghan Markle’s ‘rows’ with Kate Middleton upset Duchess as she struggled to adapt to royal life and traditions
- The Queen called Kate Middleton ‘unacceptable’ before her engagement to Prince William, royal biographer claims
- Kate Middleton switched schools at age 14 after she was bullied for being ‘too perfect’
- Young Kate Middleton partying: 28 throwback photos of the Duchess of Cambridge’s clubbing days
- Kate Middleton’s brother James’ secret Instagram account skyrockets to 100,000 followers as fans gush over his ‘gorgeous’ looks
- Woman, 40, has racked up over 60K followers by dressing like Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle for NINE years
- William and Kate in Dundee for formal opening of V&A museum
- Move over Kate Mediocre-ton! Modern Meghan Markle’s nose, smile and freckles are the most requested treatments women want