Mysterious canine appreciation Twitter account Can You Pet The Dog? continues to do the lord’s work, bringing forth the good news of which dogs can be virtually pet in video games. And also, I suppose, the bad news of which dogs remain achingly out of reach. So not exactly the lord’s work so much as essentially doing my job. Idunno, dogs!
This week’s addition to the steadily growing list is Red Dead Online. Get yer cowboy arms ready for some pettin’, y’all.
Rockstar introduced their dog update – PUPDATE? – in the recent Frontier Pursuits patch, hidden among news items about some whatever new specialist something-or-other roles in the whatever frontier. While they were busy burying the lede, CYPTD offered this helpful tweet:
While Red Dead Online has been out since last year, dog petting – and dogs for that matter – have only been available to Red Dead Redemption 2‘s single-player campaign. Now with the appearance of the September update, Red Dead Online introduces dogs as camp mates who can be used for protecting your goods against thieves. Traders can train their dogs to warn them against incoming raids, or you can just buy yourself a companion pup from the Wilderness Outfitters.
From the look of it, there are three available dog breeds to choose between: the Beagle-faced American Foxhound, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, and a Labrador. Once you choose your breed you’ll have a couple different coats to choose from – as in “tan brindle” not dinner jacket. Labs are the most expensive of the bunch and will set you back $400, with Retrievers the second highest. Foxhounds are cheapest but they still have all four legs and are barely used.
- Red Dead Online starts brewing moonshine today
- How To Become a 'Red Dead Online' Moonshiner and Open Your Own Bar
- With Frontier Pursuits, it's finally time to return to Red Dead Online
- Red Dead Online Legendary Bounties: How to capture and bring in all ten targets, dead or alive
- Red Dead Online's boozy Moonshiners update is out now
- How to spawn at your Red Dead Online camp: It's now much easier to find Cripps and rest at your camp
- Moonshining is Red Dead Online's best update yet, but the cost of content is starting to hurt
- Red Dead Online patch notes: Moonshiners Frontier Pursuit is now available
- Red Dead Online players are hiking across the map with bowls of soup for fun
- Driving an invisible wagon to a serial killer's lair in Red Dead Online's Moonshiners