It’s official — movie theater subscription service MoviePass will shut down on Sept. 14. MoviePass has been on a downward spiral for quite some time now, and this announcement is the official nail in the coffin. The service reached peak popularity in 2018. The $9.95 a month plan allowed users to see an unlimited amount of films at participating theaters. In May 2018, the company reported a $40 million loss. Efforts to restructure MoviePass continued through 2018, as it switched from unlimited movies to three a month, then hiked the price to $14.95 and limited the choice of movies. In March 2019, MoviePass tried to bring back unlimited movies for $9.95 — if you paid for a full year up front. Meanwhile, other movie subscription programs, such as Cinemark Movie Club and AMC Stubs A-List, started to actively compete in the market. MoviePass was also met with two lawsuits within this time, one accusing the company of not following through on its promises and another claiming that MoviePass used bait-and-switch tactics. The service will cease immediately on Sept. 14.
- 'This isn't essential': Employees at Tyson dog treat factory plead with company to shut down plant after first Covid-19 death
- Up to 14 Million Jobless Americans Shut Out of Unemployment Benefits, Survey Finds
- Coronavirus: Sydney school shuts after student tests positive for COVID-19
- REVEALED: Elon Musk's Twitter meltdown caused Tesla's value to tank by $14 BILLION and cost him $3 billion in personal wealth - as he hints his lawyers did NOT vet claims on stock prices as part of his SEC deal
- HOOQ video streaming service shuts down globally
- Is China fighting a second wave of coronavirus? Beijing shuts gyms and a city of 10million people is put in lockdown
- ‘Job Of My Dreams’: Retiring Teacher Gets Emotional Goodbye As Preschool Shuts Down
- UK Gov't Considers Introducing 14-Day Quarantine for Flight Arrivals, Transport Secretary Says
- Hit With Late Coronavirus Surges, Japan and Singapore Shut Down Music Sectors
- JetBlue, Spirit can suspend some U.S. flights through Sept. 30, government says
MoviePass is shutting down on Sept. 14 have 330 words, post on www.polygon.com at September 13, 2019. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.