SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX) — It’s a Bay Area version of a Cinderella story, only this fairy tale started decades ago. Long before anyone knew what a “industry disrupter” or “influencer” was and years before Mark Zuckerberg was even born, two sisters came to San Francisco. A simple flip of a coin would lead them to build a billion dollar brand. In 1978 Jane and Jean Ford — twin sisters from Indiana — landed in San Francisco with no money and no real plan. “They just wanted to get weird in San Francisco in the seventies,” said Jean’s daughter, Annie Ford Danielson. “So they just came out here to be hippies and to party.” They opened a makeup store called “The Face Place” in a seedier part of the Mission. It wouldn’t be long before they developed a cult following. Over the next 15 years, the Ford sisters opened boutiques around the Bay Area and grew their catalog business that would eventually operate under the name Benefits Cosmetics. “It was never their goal to become one of the biggest brands in the world. It was, “Let’s keep the lights on,” explained Maggie Ford Danielson, another of Jean’s daughters. In 1999 they… Read full this story
- San Francisco mayor caps Uber, Postmates, DoorDash delivery commissions
- San Francisco company links people online with coronavirus clinical studies
- On the bright side: Which San Francisco fashion designer is making much-needed coronavirus masks?
- SF New Deal Meets Immediate Needs of San Francisco Residents and Small Businesses
- Coronavirus Update: San Francisco Cap Delivery Service Charges On Cash-Strapped Local Restaurants
- San Francisco forced people to wear masks during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. Did it help?
- San Francisco County real estate most hard hit due to the coronavirus
- Coronavirus Update: Feds Award San Francisco International $254.7 Million In COVID-19 Relief Funds
- South San Francisco Businesses: Open or Closed?
- Coronavirus live updates: San Francisco announces dramatic expansion of contact tracing
San Francisco Cosmetics Business Grows Into Billion Dollar Brand have 312 words, post on sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com at August 15, 2019. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.