Square Enix and developers from Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal gave Marvel fans a new look at their upcoming Avengers video game at San Diego Comic-Con on Thursday, and perhaps the biggest reveal was the appearance of Ms. Marvel (as Kamala Khan), who will play an unspecified role in Marvel’s Avengers.
In an extended gameplay look at Marvel’s Avengers, featuring characters like Hulk and Black Widow battling bad guys like Taskmaster, Kamala Khan — wearing a Captain Marvel t-shirt, no less — appears as a bystander to the action. Khan watches the action unfold in San Francisco on “A-Day,” a celebration of the Avengers that goes horribly wrong, and flees amid the chaos.
Fans have speculated that Kamala Khan is the narrator heard in the debut trailer for Marvel’s Avengers, in which she talks about meeting the heroes she idolizes while also lamenting, “We all lost something that day. But that’s not how this story ends.”
The debut trailer may also provide some insight into Ms. Marvel’s origins in Marvel’s Avengers. In the Marvel comics, Kamala Khan gained her shapeshifting Inhuman powers after exposure to Terregin, a fictional substance in the Marvel universe — and a substance that appeared briefly in the game’s debut trailer.
One unconfirmed rumor posted to the ResetEra forums indicated that, in the early portions of Marvel’s Avengers at least, Ms. Marvel will be a core member of the Avengers team alongside Iron Man and Hulk as they try to rebuild.
Kamala Khan has appeared in a handful of Marvel video games since her comics debut in 2013, including Lego Marvel’s Avengers, Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order. But her role in Marvel’s Avengers sounds potentially more central to the story than her other appearance in Marvel games.
Square Enix officially revealed Marvel’s Avengers at E3 2019. The ambitious, years-in-the-making cooperative action game features Avengers such as Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, Iron Man, and Thor, with the promise of more playable heroes — like Ant-Man — to come.
Marvel’s Avengers will be released May 15, 2020, for Google Stadia, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC.
- New Falcon And Winter Soldier Details Revealed At Marvel's Comic-Con Panel
- Marvel, Not Comic Artist's Heirs, Owns Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four and More
- Marvel Is Bringing Back its Legends in
- Everything You Need to Know About Marvel's
- Everything You Need To Know About Marvel's "All-New, All-Different" Comic Universe
- Did You Forget What Marvel's
- Doctor Doom Is Teaming Up With the Avengers—And Could Join Them for Good
- Everything You Need to Know About the Fantastic Four's Disappearance From Marvel Comics
- Marvel Is Resurrecting Wolverine, Bruce Banner, and More in
- Marvel’s Other Hulk Isn’t Feeling Too Awesome Right Now, Either