The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports the number of tick-borne diseases is increasing at a record pace while the geographic range of ticks continues to expand. Lyme disease is the most commonly-known tick-borne disease, but other diseases, such as ehrlichiosis and STARI, have been discovered and the list of tick-related illnesses continues to grow.Tick bites have even been found to cause allergic reactions to red meat in some people. Is a warming climate responsible for this growing tick threat? Should we expect more ticks and tick-related diseases this year because this past winter was warm and wet? And how do we protect ourselves from ticks?I interviewed Matthias Leu, an ecologist and assistant professor at the College of William & Mary, to find answers to these questions and to learn more about tick prevention. The interview is below. Tick season is here: New tick species, more tick-borne diseases feared Warm weather means more ticks. Here’s what you need to know. Q: Does weather influence tick populations? For example, does a warm winter lead to more ticks, or does a cold winter lead to less ticks?A: So far, we have not found an association with weather and tick populations…. Read full this story
- 'The Tick' Star Griffin Newman on How Season 2 Expands the Show's Universe (and Those Cool Practical Costumes) [Interview]
- George Zimmerman’s Wife to Katie Couric: He’s a ‘Ticking Time Bomb’ That ‘Snapped’
- s Eric Bolling Mocks Obama: ‘We All Know Obama’s A
- CNN Panel Compares Mitt Romney To Carrot Top, Says He Needs A ‘Swag Transplant’
- CNN’s Kurtz On Why Fox Needed To ‘Pull The Plug’ On ‘Radioactive’ Glenn Beck
- The Clock Is Ticking: Deadline approaches for food-service menu labeling
- 'Darkest Hour' star Gary Oldman: Awards campaigning "probably needs an overhaul"
- Cedric the Entertainer Offers 5 Things to Know About 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire'
- 'Empire's' Bryshere Gray Breaks Down What Makes Hakeem Tick
- Why Trump’s Pardon Policy Tells Us Everything We Need to Know About Our President
Why are there more ticks now? What you need to know have 336 words, post on www.al.com at May 22, 2019. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.