Valve has just released the Steam Link app for iOS and Apple TV, which will bring your Steam library and all the games in it to your iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. All you need then is an MFi or Steam controller paired with the device, and you can play your games running from a computer into any compatible Apple device. According to the requirements on the App Store, you’ll need an iPhone or iPad using iOS 10 or higher, the computer (you can have it running Windows, Mac, or Linux), and both must be connected to the same local network.
For best performance, you’ll want a computer plugged with an Ethernet cable to your 5Ghz WiFi router, and to keep your iOS device within a reasonable range of your router. Otherwise, you can expect some input lag. The technology is already pretty old, so much that the Steam Link device has been discontinued, and our TechRaptor staff writer correctly predicted the release of an iOS app. The app would have been available sooner, if not for the fact that Apple rejected it over “business conflicts.”
Streaming is probably not high up in Valve’s priorities right now, focused as they are on overhauling Steam for both gamers and developers, likely gearing up for the competition that has emerged last year when Epic Games Store was announced and started securing exclusives. They have also announced their new VR headset, Valve Index, which replaces the HTC Vive as their own exclusive device that appears to be cutting-edge. Additionally, they have announced their first full-on VR game for 2019 as a flagship title among several games they are working.
While the physical Steam Link is gone, it appears that the ability to remotely play your Steam games on TV is something that will continue to be available from Valve.
Have you tried out the Steam Link app? Does it work well with Apple devices? Let us know in the comments below!
Have a tip for us? Awesome! Shoot us an email at [email protected] and we’ll take a look!
Richard CostaStaff Writer
Hack for hire, indentured egghead, maverick thoughtcriminal. Mainly interested in Western RPGs, first-person immersion, turn-based tactics, point-and-clickers, and card jousting.
report this ad
- How to download tvOS 11.4 beta 3 to your Apple TV
- The cheapest live TV streamer heads to Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV
- Put Tape on Your Apple TV Remote
- Our new baby: KUAM rolls out Apple TV app for living room streaming
- Free WLOX News, Weather apps for Apple, Android users
- Google releases standalone Tasks app on iOS and Android
- How to use the Breathe app on Apple Watch
- How to check your Mac for 32-bit apps before Apple kicks ’em to the curb
- Best Apple TV Game Controllers in 2018
- Google releases new Africa app to beat slow internet speeds