Valve’s Steam Link app is finally available for iOS devices and Apple TV. Steam users can finally play their favorite PC games anywhere in the house using an iPhone, Ipad or even on TV via Apple TV.
Steam Link was announced for iOS almost a year ago but ended up being rejected by Apple due to “business conflicts”. Apparently, these conflicts have finally been resolved.
This news comes after Apple’s marketing chief Phil Schiller said that they will continue to work with Valve Corporation “to help bring the Steam experience to iOS and AppleTV in a way that complies with the store’s guidelines.”
However, it’s worth noticing that the new Steam Link on iOS devices doesn’t allow users to purchase games directly from Steam, unlike Android Devices.
In case you don’t already know, Steam Link for iOS allows users to stream games from a Mac or PC running Steam on the same network. It basically mirrors your content on Mac or PC to your device. To run this application, you are required to have iOS 10 or the latest installed on your iPhone. In addition to this, Valve recommends users to use 5 GHz network for best performance.
If you have a powerful gaming rig, wired network, and a very good client device, it’s possible to stream at 4K 60 FPS
Steam Link comes with on-screen touch controls. Those who are not comfortable with on-screen controls can purchase iPhone supported controllers or Valve’s own Steam-branded controller. Pairing your iOS device with your PC or Mac is a simple process. All you have to do is open Steam Link app and let it search for a PC or Mac nearby then complete pairing through a code. Users may also need to install some additional drivers on PC for Steam Link to work.
Below are the official requirements and the things you need to achieve the best performance.
- iPhone or iPad using iOS 10 or higher
- Computer running Steam – Windows, Mac, or Linux
- iOS device must be on the same local network as the computer running Steam
For best performance:
- Connect your computer using Ethernet to your 5Ghz WiFi router
- Connect your iOS device to the 5GHz band of your WiFi network
- Keep your iOS device within a reasonable range of your router
The Steam Link app is available free of charge from App Store and without any in-app purchases.
- Netflix says it will not join Apple TV service
- Apple introduces new 1080p Apple TV
- Amazon-Apple TV deal shows tough road to cooperation for tech rivals
- Apple TV heads to US stores in new media play
- Vietnamese spends more time on mobile devices than TV
- Apple event 2019: Everything announced at Apple's big March presentation
- Apple unveils premium iPhone XS, health features for watch
- HBO standalone service coming to Apple devices in April
- Developers sue Apple over app store fees
- iPhone XS, XR and the Apple Watch Series 4 launch: 5 things to know