The continuing political mess over Brexit is a “crushing disaster” for business in Britain with investor confidence at the lowest since the financial crash a decade ago, the Confederation of British Industry’s director general has said. Carolyn Fairbairn told business leaders in London that “the paralysis” in Westminster continuing “every day without a deal is corrosive” in its effect on Britain’s economy. She said the government and other political parties involved in the Brexit mess needed to sit up and pay attention to the realities in business and stop shirking their responsibilities to the country, where business leaders are already being forced to cancel expansion because the prospect of a decision on Brexit seems further away than ever. “From the heart of business to the heart of politics, resolve this gridlock, do whatever it takes and do it fast,” she said. Fairbairn added that if cross-party talks were to fail, as widely expected, Theresa May or her successor, should “move to the next stage, fast”. At a speech at the Mansion House, Fairbairn said the CBI’s surveys show that intentions to invest were “at their lowest since the financial crash” a decade ago. Stockpiling is at its highest level since… Read full this story
- Brexit 'puts brakes on UK launch of e-scooters'
- Threats to MPs at 'unprecedented' levels, says Met chief
- Brexit could destroy the UK's food and farming industry – or be the making of it
- Brexit heightens uncertainty in global economy, says G20
- COP25: youth ‘leadership’ contrasts with government inaction, says UN chief
- Britain finally admits that Brexit means the death of frictionless trade with Europe
- Leaked immigration plans ‘catastrophic’ for industry, say employers
- Brexit Day timeline: How did we get here and what happens next?
- Business groups challenge PM to ditch Heathrow opposition
- UK clothing and shoe sales suffer biggest slump since 1991
Brexit mess is a 'crushing disaster' for UK business, says CBI chief have 300 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 17, 2019. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.