In its efforts to slash its climate-changing emissions nearly to zero by 2050, Rio de Janeiro has chosen a perhaps unlikely place to start: its trash bins. At a huge waste treatment plant outside of the famed beach city, methane gas released by buried municipal garbage is captured and turned into energy as part of the city’s key push to meet its ambitious goals to become carbon neutral. Every day, trucks unload 10,000 tons of waste at the CTR waste treatment plant in Seropedica, about 60 kilometers (37 miles) northwest of Rio de Janeiro. The plant turns household and industrial food and yard waste, which once would have rotted in a landfill – creating a major source of climate-change-spurring emissions – into biogas that is sold to industries or to the state’s gas company. The waste treatment plant, unusual in Latin America, can produce 20,000 cubic metres of purified gas an hour, according to Jose Henrique Monteiro Penido, the head of environmental sustainability at COMLURB, Rio’s waste management company. “Everyone talks about recycling but the biggest environmental problem is the organic fraction of garbage,” he said. Once in a landfill, rotting material releases methane that can, in the short term,… Read full this story
- Meta Making Joint $925M Commitment To Reach Net Zero Emissions Goal By 2030 End: Zuckerberg
- 'Get off their emotional high horse!' Energy UK ex chief savages 2030 low-carbon goal
- Taiwan to invest in green energy, smart grids to reach net-zero emissions goal
- K-eco head says tax reforms will help achieve carbon neutrality
- Shell says aims to hit carbon reduction goals regardless of others
- Brits forced to spend £22,000 ripping out gas boilers and installing heat pumps. ‘Absurd'
- The 1.5-Degree Goal Is All But Dead
- Carbon Emission a serious crypto problem, warrants more sensitivity: Experts
- Only 29 of the top-50 firms have time-bound carbon neutrality targets: Report
- Can carbon-positive villages pave the way for climate resilience?
Rio de Janeiro hits the gas in push toward its zero carbon goal have 303 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at February 26, 2019. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.