Between the launch of the Nintendo Switch Online service and a new sale in the Eshop, it’s been a busy week for Nintendo’s hybrid console. That applies to its newest batch of game releases as well. Nearly 30 titles have been released for Switch this week, from retro classics to some indie gems and the big DLC expansion for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Here are some of the highlights.
On the indie side, this week saw the Switch release of the quirky, beloved RPG Undertale. The well-received roguelike platformer Risk of Rain is now available in the Switch Eshop as well, as is Reigns: Kings & Queens, a compilation of the Tinder-like RPGs Reigns and Reigns: Her Majesty, in which you swipe left or right to make decisions on how you’ll rule. The fast-paced sci-fi shoot-’em-up Velocity 2X also made its Switch debut, and early adopters can pick it up on sale for a limited time.
In addition to those titles, a bunch of retro games arrived on Switch this week, including the Capcom Beat ’em Up Bundle, a compilation of several of the developer’s classic arcade beat-’em-ups. Sega also released the first two entries in its Sega Ages line, Sonic the Hedgehog and Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar. Rounding out the retro releases is a new pair of Arcade Archives games: the Neo Geo beat-’em-up Cyber-Lip, and the rare arcade version of Excitebike.
The biggest first-party release this week is Xenoblade Chronicles 2’s final piece of DLC, Torna: The Golden Country. Those who purchased the game’s Expansion Pass have been able to play the expansion since last week, but it is now available as a standalone purchase at retail, so even if you don’t have the main game, you can pick up and play this prequel story. The Golden Country is set 500 years before the events of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and reveals the tragic downfall of the Kingdom of Torna. It also features new environments to explore and a reworked battle system.
Other notable releases this week include the dreamlike puzzle-adventure game The Gardens Between; Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk, a new dungeon crawler from the developer of the Disgaea series; the point-and-click adventure game Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse; the retro-style platformer MagiCat; and Scribblenauts Mega Pack, which contains Scribblenauts Unlimited and the series’ superhero spin-off, Scribblenauts Unmasked. You can find the full list of this week’s releases below.
Nintendo Switch New Releases
- Capcom Beat ’em Up Bundle
- Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
- Legendary Fishing
- Scribblenauts Mega Pack
- Speed Brawl
- Sword of the Guardian
- ACA Neo Geo: Cyber-Lip
- A Case of Distrust
- Light Fingers
- Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae
- Reigns: Kings & Queens
- The Card: Poker, Texas Hold ’em, Blackjack, and Page One
- The Gardens Between
- Risk of Rain
- Sega Ages: Lightening Force
- Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog
- Velocity 2X
- Arcade Archives: Excitebike
- Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse
- Debris Infinity
- My Brother Rabbit
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – Torna: The Golden Country
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email [email protected]
- Petrino begins game-week prep with Louisville
- Watch: Go behind the scenes of a game week with UNC star OL Landon Turner
- Texas A&M ‘game week’ finally arrives for Sun Devils
- Jagr adds another game-winner as Devils edge Flyers
- Sports teams add charitable games to stands
- Coyotes, FOX Sports Arizona add 4 games to broadcast schedule
- Padres add exhibition game to FanFest in 2015
- Ohio State football adds future games against Army, Florida Atlantic
- Fantasy: Final Sunday/Monday rankings for title-game Week 16
- (WATCH) Kickoff game week with this 2015 Tennessee hype video