The key to a healthy garden is rich, fertile soil. Establishing a good source of compost and adding this to your garden nourishes both the garden plants and the creatures that live in healthy soil. Applying compost to your soil can help stabilize the pH at the level most plants prefer. When you make your own compost, you are doing what nature is doing all the time naturally around us — only faster. The soil-dwelling microbes are doing the work of decomposing. This slow process by the microbes releases nutrients at a rate that plants can use them. This compost process will help your garden by providing nutrients for vigorous plant growth. The aeration of the compost improves soil structure and improves the soil’s ability to retain water. I’m sure you have seen water just running off your soil instead of sinking in. Thick compost stops this water runoff. Compost contributes to the health of the plants by producing growth-stimulating hormones and chemicals that can be easily taken up and used by the plants. By moderating the pH of the soil, compost can distribute our acidic soils that we have here for better growth. One of the most important things… Read full this story
- Compost: Why are more people dealing with green waste at home?
- When to plant raspberry bushes - key dates for your diary
- 45 of the best sun loungers you can buy in 2021
- Why dumping rubbish is a waste of money
- Why do my flower bulbs fail? 8 mistakes you might be making
- For a Late-Summer Gathering, Try This Spin on a Salade Niçoise
- Mark Zero Waste Week with tiny tweaks that can really make a difference
IN THE GARDEN: Compost is the gardener’s gold have 277 words, post on www.alaskastar.com at August 2, 2018. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.