In an October 19 letter to corn-belt lawmakers, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Scott Pruitt said that he won’t seek any rollback to biofuel blending rules, according to Reuters. Further ReadingEPA increases the amount of renewable fuel to be blended into gasolineThe agency had been considering some changes to rules set by the Obama administration that ratchet up the amount of renewable biofuel that refineries must blend into the gas and diesel they sell. According to Bloomberg, the EPA had specifically been considering “a possible reduction in biodiesel requirements” as well as “a proposal to allow exported renewable fuel to count toward domestic quotas.” In early October, the EPA asked for public comment on cutting biodiesel quotas. The Bloomberg story cited unnamed sources who said President Trump personally directed Pruitt to back off any proposals that would relax biofuel quotas after pressure from lawmakers from corn-producing states like Iowa, Nebraska, and Illinois. Trump, who courted both fossil fuel interests and corn-belt states in his campaign, has had pressure from each side on this debate. Uncertainty surrounding the future of biofuel use during Trump’s administration has caused volatility in biofuels markets for months, Reuters notes. (The Bloomberg story also cites one unnamed “top EPA official” who said that… Read full this story
- OPEC considers deeper output cuts as global growth slows
- Oil slips as OPEC+ prepares to discuss deeper output cuts
- How Mobil pushed its oil agenda through 'charitable giving'
- Dozens of states consider move to permanent daylight saving time
- OPEC, allies agree to deepen oil output cuts
- Kim Jong-un guides another test-fire as Donald Trump claims the North Korean leader won’t disappoint him
- Donald Trump isn't the only solar power protectionist
- Putin's show of power pays off
- Climate anxiety is real, but there's something you can do about it
- Oil drops ahead of OPEC meetings on production curbs
EPA says it won’t cut biofuel quotas after corn states push back have 301 words, post on arstechnica.com at October 20, 2017. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.