Apple’s latest move to shake up the music industry could up-end Spotify’s entire business model. The company filed a proposal late last week with the Copyright Royalty Board, a commission of three judges appointed by the Librarian of Congress to set the rates and terms for songwriting royalties, to simplify the costs per stream. Apple thinks every service should pay 9.1 cents per every 100 plays, which would make it easier for artists to figure out what they’re owed. But for services like Spotify, which offer popular free tiers, the change could effectively end the financial viability of giving songs away, even with ad support.Let it be known that Apple plays to win.The proposal, first obtained by the New York Times, seems to directly attack Spotify:“An interactive stream has an inherent value, regardless of the business model a service provider chooses,” the company wrote in its filing.But the Times notes that Apple’s proposal wouldn’t apply to its own service, because the company has separate deals with music publishers that aren’t governed by the Copyright Royalty Board’s rules.Apple Music offers a free three-month trial, but pays artists for streams throughout that trial—a move that was inspired by an open letter from… Read full this story
- The Average Spotify Subscriber Pays $5.50 a Month — and Record Labels Hate It
- Have Spotify and other streaming services saved the music industry?
- Is Spotify really worth $20bn?
- The 50 Best Love Songs to Stream on Valentine’s Day
- Spotify boosts the number of songs users can download for offline listening to 10,000 tracks
- 'They could destroy the album': how Spotify's playlists have changed music for ever
- Adele's new album 25 will not be streamed on Spotify
- Spotify’s Biggest Artist of 2019 Was Smaller Than Last Year’s. Why?
- 50 Essential Latin Songs of the Decade: Critics' Picks
- Best smartwatch deals for January 2020: Samsung, Fitbit, and Apple Watch sales
Apple's song royalty rate proposal would hit Spotify right in the wallet have 313 words, post on www.techhive.com at July 18, 2016. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.