ALASTAIR COOK joined an elite club when he passed 10,000 runs in Test cricket.It is a remarkable achievement which required skill, determination, longevity, freedom from injury and the ability to maximum his talent.But is Cook an all-time great batsman? When I tweeted that he isn’t, I was bombarded with responses claiming I was miserable and failing to appreciate his remarkable powers.What’s more, they said, Cook is the first Englishman to reach 10k and the youngest from any country.I rate Cook very highly. He is a brilliant cutter and puller, brave against the fastest bowling and hugely dedicated to the extent that, rumour has it, he has never been beaten in the team’s ‘yoyo’ fitness test.He has scored three centuries on tours of both Australia and India.But opponents respect him rather than fear him. Apart from his epic tour of 2010-11, his record against Australia is modest and he has never scored a home Ashes century.My definition of an all-time great – as distinct from an England great or England legend – is somebody who would challenge for all-time World XI. So perhaps there are no more than 30 all-time greats.I have been watching cricket since 1970 and reckon I have… Read full this story
- ‘Highways to Hope': Read a Times reporter’s account of a road trip through racism in 1964
- Basketball programs make playoff push
- Post Falls teen aiming to beat her own cookie sales record
- Detroit Red Wings season grades: A few A's after bad year
- Day 18 at the Rugby World Cup: England first to book quarter-final place
- Alexander: Where does Jared Goff go from here?
- Niyo: Defense helps Wolverines make the grade
- Niyo: Defense helps Michigan Wolverines make the grade
- At 169-0, four-time state champ earns spot among Idaho’s all-time great wrestlers
- 20 Years of Philadelphia History in the Public Record
John Etheridge’s top ten batsmen of all-time, but does England’s record-breaking captain Alastair Cook make the grade? have 303 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at June 6, 2016. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.