Curtis SittenfeldNovelist My favourite books of 2013 are Drama High (Riverhead) by Michael Sokolove, Sea Creatures (Turnaround) by Susanna Daniel, and & Sons (Harper Collins) by David Gilbert. Drama High is incredibly smart, moving non-fiction about an American drama teacher who for four decades coaxed sophisticated and nuanced theatrical performances out of teenage students who weren’t privileged or otherwise remarkable and in so doing, changed their conceptions of what they could do with their lives. Sea Creatures is a gripping, beautifully written novel about the mother of a selectively mute three-year-old boy; when she takes a job ferrying supplies to a hermit off the coast of Florida, her world is upended. & Sons is a fabulously clever, warm-hearted novel about fathers, sons, literature, art, lust, envy, fraudulence, and Manhattan. As for a book I’d love to be given, Mohsin Hamid has recently been writing wonderful columns for the New York Times that make me curious about his novels. If Santa’s reading this, I believe I’ll start with How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia (Hamish Hamilton). Hilary MantelNovelist Time to recall the more energising parts of the year’s reading: Kate Atkinson’s inexhaustibly ingenious novel, Life After Life (Doubleday). Or Ace,… Read full this story
- A young pill popper sleepwalks through a ‘Year of Rest and Relaxation’
- Paperback Picks: books by Nancy Pearl, Ann Powers and more
- These 28 Brilliant Books by Black Authors Are the Standouts in What Was a Stellar Year in Black Literature
- Great New Children’s Books About Animals
- Elaine Pagels: By the Book
- Ellie Kemper: By the Book
- 100 Notable Books of 2017
- What’s the Best Book, New or Old, You Read This Year?
- The Nobel Prize in Literature Takes This Year Off. Our Critics Don’t.
- What Book Would You Recommend for America’s Current Political Moment?
The Observer's books of the year have 301 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 24, 2013. This is cached page on GameMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.